As a recertified project manager I work in accordance to the PMI methodology. Since four years I combine my project management activities with my coaching/facilitation and organizational development skills.
My specialized experiences as a business consultant and project manager in banking are
- Treasury (all banking products and financial derivatives) front to back-office
- Accounting (German GAAP and IFRS)
- Risk management
I used to write business concepts, scoped, recruited, managed stakeholders, designed interfaces, worked on new processes, planned and realized migrations and tests, reporting, risk management and project controlling on a regularly basis as a project manager and business analyst.
Conflict Management, training, coaching/facilitation and teambuilding were always part of my work in my projects.
I have working experience with the following systems: Murex, Calypso, Summit, IBM Algorithmics, SAP FI/RBD/CML/Banking Service, Flex Finance, Kondor+, FrontArena, Sophis Risque.
I have longtime experience in the execution of RFI’s and RFP’s for treasury and accounting systems.
I have designed and organized changes in various ways over the past twenty years as a project manager.
This is how Coaching/Facilitation works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY75MQte4RU
My experience in Coaching/Facilitation helps clients to learn new skills and tools to build a more satisfying and successful future for themselves and their work environment.
In my projects, I support individuals like members of the management at a micro level.
Furthermore, I’m very experienced in developing new processes on macro level in large and complex systems.
This is my work as a Coach/Facilitator:
I work with my clients in two languages, English and German – in Germany and Austria – India was a great experience as well.
A personal coaching takes approx 4 to 5 hours and focuses on short term solution. After a personal meeting, coaching is very effective Skype or Webex.
During projects, my focus is the empowerment of the project team and support of the implementation.
I assist with task clarification, stakeholder-management and the creation and inception of a strategic communication plan. I’m hosting regular workshops or individual coaching if needed. Find out more about my methodology in section project (-coaching) or at news.
Based on my experience, working with groups is more successful outside the company.
Coaching/Facilitation in projects
Why to ask for Coaching/Facilitation in projects?
In the past I have experienced that the causes of dissatisfied projects is about
- insufficient organization
- unclear target objectives
- imprecise project planning
- inconsistency of communication
- insufficient budget
- unsatisfied empowerment
Discomfort can derive from:
- Project manager often act as single fighters.
- Project owners, sponsors and other project members in the steering committees have high demands and provide challenging targets.
- Usually project team members are business or IT experts but do not have the overall view on the project environment.
The coach/facilitator helps with:
- New approaches to assist changes in organizations that find themselves in tension between structural / contextual and personal / emotional topics.
- Support of change processes and assistance with project management expertise.
Assist with the creation of new scope of action in order to manage current and future tasks and challenges in the project environment.
Development and Consulting for Organizations
What is the content?
The realization of projects effect the existing organization/social system and causes changes in may ways.
- This requires active measures in redesign and development of the organization
- Change processes should be specifically initiated and controlled with coordinated methods
- Objectives and interventions should be based on the design options of the existing social systems
- The transformation can be done in consideration of the structure, the control potential of the environment perceptions and the body of knowledge and behavior.
What meaningful measures are taken in a successful project?
According to NPI model (Nederlands educational institution) for example in five phases:
- Phase of orientation
- Provide a diagnosis of the situation and develop a future conception
- Phase of definition of operational objectives
- Phase of experimental projects and situations
- Phase of realization
That’s how I work in projects:
- During project evaluation, target setting and planning, existing parallel processes are examined
- Stakeholder surveys are conducted to discuss initial ideas for the target landscape
- Workshops with all stakeholders are initiated to agree on future processes and procedures
- New areas of work are identified and coordinated
- During the project implementation trainings will be prepared and carried out
- New teams are set up for the altered / new tasks (system support as well as professional requirements management)
- New accompanying job descriptions are written
Change Management (read more about new developments/concepts following the link: new concept)
Why Change Management?
What happens with ‘these changes (projects, mergers, migrations, reclassifications, outsourcing, outplacement, etc.)’?
Many discussions and a huge amount of energy is given into the design of the ‚new or the different’ processes, systems, changes etc.
In every respect, changes in existing social systems / organisations are made, ie the work environment of individuals, groups, areas will also be affected in the future.
Changes are painful and full with emotions for all involved parties.
I have experienced the following reactions:
- Resistance arises on a regularly basis in change processes
- Resistance occurs or exists with all parties or persons affected
- Resistance arises between change operators and stakeholders
How can you design a rational (meaningful) change?
I recommend to take prior actions before starting a change process:
- Development of common objectives and strategies
- Involvement of all parties concerned – obtain the agreement of all
- Equal participation and decision-taking structure
- Set operational rules and implement them immediately
- Provide transparency in the proposed structures for all measures
- Integrate activities into the daily business of the parties involved
- Transparent access to all data concerned
- Same information at all levels
- Realistic time and cost planning
According to my experience, this is my recommendation to focus on:
- Open communication – listen to all requirements of parties (accept there are fears and take them serious)
- All parties can live with the level of change and work on the new design
- Plan and provide sufficient budget for all activities around the change process
- Offer coaching or team building events
- Realistic time management for the implementation
- Once rejections occur – consider alternative options or in case of doubts – refrain from or defer actions
- Resize large projects when risks and implications are not manageable
- Celebrate small achievements
- Adapt the methodology of project management on projects
- Appreciate performances of internal employees
The staff members live and experience the change, you need to take care of them!
In the years 1997 to 2004, we have performed many customized training for calculation, the use and valuation of financial derivatives at MLang.
This has led to a great recognition of us and we were very successful at MLang Training and Consulting.
In addition, we have performed many training sessions for the use of treasury, accounting and risk applications, while MLang existed.
This also involved the development of training material.